The carrels are located on the 4th floor of the Library (Goldsmiths Library, Middlesex South, and Middlesex North reading rooms)
Quiet study spaces
- Your own private study room in a 4th floor reading room with minimal distraction.
- A lockable door, desk and storage space.
- Internet connectivity (via WiFi or network cable).
- The option of issuing 20 books to the carrel, for reference use within the carrel (subject to the Library’s normal policy regarding renewals and fines).
You must be a member of the Library to rent a carrel. Please note: due to demand, term time eligibility is more restricted than vacation hour times. (Please see below.)
At any time during the year
- University of London academic staff and research (PhD/MPhil) students may book a carrel for up to 6 months in advance. New stock for six months in advance will be added to the shop at the beginning of each month on a rolling basis e.g. From 1st June 2015, it will be possible for UoL academic and PhD students to book weeks up to the end of November 2015.)
- University of London students engaged on taught postgraduate courses and undergraduate students in their final year may book a carrel for one week at a time. The booking cannot be made until the Thursday before the week required.
During vacation time only
(Monday 8 June – Saturday 26 September 2015)
All members of the Library, including all University of London undergraduates, academic staff and students from other Universities and private researchers may book a carrel for one week at a time. The booking cannot be made until the Thursday before the week required.
The cost during term time is £17.50 per week and £15 per week during vacation time. Payment is taken via credit or debit card when the carrel is booked via the University of London Online Shop via the Senate House Library website.
Payment is then made via the University of London Online Shop and you will receive a confirmation email.
Make a booking
- All bookings are placed via the University of London Online Shop. Carrels are booked on a weekly basis, Monday-Saturday.
- Each available week shows as a separate product in the Online Shop, which you book by adding it to your basket. If all carrels have been sold for a given week, the display will indicate “out of stock”.
- On the first day of the period you have booked, show the email to staff on the 4th floor Service Desk and you will be allocated a carrel in one of the 4th floor reading rooms for the duration of your booking.
Extend a booking
- Place a new booking for the additional week(s) as described above. Remember, throughout the year, taught postgraduate and final year undergraduate students must wait until Thursday to book for the following week. During term time only University of London undergraduates, academic staff and students from other Universities and private researchers can also book a carrel, but must also wait until Thursday to book for the following week.
- The due date of your carrel key will be updated within 24 hours – although this may take up to 72 hours if you renew on a Friday or Saturday. We advise academic staff and research students to renew in plenty of time. All renewals are placed via the University of London Online Shop.
Please read this before booking a carrel
Carrel occupants have a reference use only allowance of 20 books which are issued to the carrel for one week at a time. Books may be renewed online using the carrel name and membership number displayed on the carrel key fob. Late renewals of books issued to the carrel will incur fines. Late returned keys will incur a fine at the daily carrel rental rate.
Carrel users not in possession of their key will not be able to access the carrel. Lost carrel keys will incur a £20 non-refundable fine. Carrel users will not be able to access the carrel while a replacement key is being cut.
For support and information email firstname.lastname@example.org.